This post is a re-release given Ammon’s arrest today, March 12, 2022 one year following his “conference” in Kanab at Kane County’s Kanab Center to recruit supporters of his anti-government network People’s Rights Movement (PRM).
Information in 7 sections in order of most recent events from the time of the March 11, 2021 conference in Kanab.
- (One year later): Ammon arrested 03/12/2022 protesting “medical kidnapping & tyranny”
- (Seven months later): Ammon enters bid for Governor of Idaho
- (3 weeks later): PRM protests at the home of a judge in Idaho 04/12/2021
- (4 days later): Bundy arrested at Ada County Courthouse, PRM assaults police officer, one PRM member injured 03/15/2021
- KANAB CONFERENCE & County Officials 03/11/2021
- How to Help
- (beforehand) : Tour schedule, agenda & original Kanab response.
For historical and detailed accounts of Bundy’s People’s Rights Network read IREHR’s Ammon’s Army Marches On.
1/7: Ammon arrested at St. Luke’s Hospital protesting “medical kidnapping” 03/12/2022
One year following the Kanab Conference and one month before his court date for public health violations at Ada County Courthouse https://ktvz.com/news/crime-courts/2022/03/12/police-ammon-bundy-arrested-in-idaho-hospital-trespassing-case/. Follow @scirreeve on Twitter for updates to those involved with the Bundy Occupation of Mahleur Wildlife Refuge. They use #OregonStandoff.
2/7: Ammon Bundy for Governor of Idaho
Seven months following the end of his Utah tour, Bundy announces candidacy for Governor of Idaho
See Desert article for information on his announcement https://www.deseret.com/2022/2/18/22941610/idaho-gubernatorial-candidate-ammon-bundy-ditches-gop-announces-bid-as-independent.
3/7: Bundy’s PRM protest at the home of Idaho judge & Patriot Prayer Joins. 04/02/21
Three weeks following the Kanab Conference & Utah tour, Bundy’s PRM protests at the home of a judge.
Following Bundy’s March 15th arrest for failure to appear after refusing to wear a mask in the courthouse (see following section), about 50 protesters gathered at the home of Idaho Magistrate Judge David Manweiler assigned to the case. (photo and article Idaho Statesman)
Over loud-speaker a man asks the eight officers “How far are you willing to go? This is going to get worse and worse” then addresses the judge inside. Watch small segments here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article250419276.html.
Bundy’s PRM have a history of protesting at the private residence of targeted officials including and Idaho Police Officer April 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6hoR41h5b0. At minute 6:08, Ammon declares to officers that “the people will not allow you to do this very long…you will not go anywhere and arrest anyone for exercising their rights…” At 8:30 he becomes argumentative with officers. This was in response to a woman being arrested for trespassing at a public park after she went into a closed off playground and then insisted the officer arrest her. At each event, the discussion is about taking their rights, encouraging officers to turn backs on elected officials, and describing themselves as law abiding citizens.
Joey Gibson’s Patriot Prayer (charged in Portland Riots May 1, 2019) advertised to join PRM in this protest
4. 03/15/2021: Bundy arrested in Idaho, PRM assaults officer, PRM member injured
Four days following the Kanab Conference and the end of the Utah tour, his People’s Rights members protest at his scheduled court appearance in Ada County Idaho. One officer was assaulted by PRM and one PRM member injured. Watch here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKaOVRnNGfo
The timely nature of this tour proceeded his scheduled March 15th court date for an arrest last year in Ada County, Idaho. Last year he was arrested for trespassing and resisting arrest at the Ada County Courthouse. This year he was arrested for failure to appear to that scheduled court date because he stood outside with a group of protesters refusing to wear a mask required to enter the courthouse.
5. 03/12 – 03/09/2021: Bundy PRM Tour at Kanab and Kane County Official response to concerned citizens
As reported by Camille Taylor, director of Kane County Office of Tourism, the 03/11/2021 Ammon Bundy People’s Rights Conference for recruitment and training concluded without incident in Kanab, except for an attendee disrupting in a dinosaur costume (see photo below).
Taylor then posts ridicule of “complainers” and disinformation in local FB group Kanab/Fredonia Rant & Rave. Supporting extremist behavior and ridiculing opposition is nothing new for Kanab & Kane County as exposed in KURW post Kane County Commissioner Calls Kanab Patriots a Hate Group, But They Are Not the Fringe. Likewise, Taylor’s tirade is appreciated by Kane County Commissioner Chair Andy Gant. See extremism and bigotry from other candidates at KURW post MEET THE 2022 CANDIDATES for Kane County Utah Election
I’ll provide some background and then make five points of clarification to each of Taylor’s public posts on FB following the event:
BACKGROUND: Articles and organizations involved
- Kelli Weill wrote an article about Kanab’s event in the Daily Beast https://www.thedailybeast.com/this-far-right-network-is-using-the-pandemic-for-a-recruiting-road-trip?via=desktop&social=Reddit.
- Ammon Teare wrote about the March 10th St. George event in the St. George News with VIDEO https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2021/03/11/ajt-ammon-bundy-visits-st-george-to-talk-peoples-rights-civil-disobedience/#.YE6KCJNKi3I
- IREHR monitors People’s Rights regularly, including a list of the names of the assistants by state and region, Shawna Cox is Kanab’s https://www.irehr.org/reports/peoples-rights-report/uncovering-the-peoples-rights-network/peoples-rights-area-assistant-list/
See related KURW posts
Clarifications on Taylor’s explanation of events
In her post she states being baffled by the “alarmists and complainers”, explains funding source for the City Center, explains decision making for event scheduling, expressed concern for my ROI for my ad in the Sun, ridiculed residents who did voice concern, blamed concerned citizens who spoke up for causing tax payer money spent on extra law enforcement, dismissed the national threat and concerns from neighboring states attacked by the Bundy Group.
- Baffled by the “alarmists and complainers”
Well, start here for why the alarm. https://www.irehr.org/reports/peoples-rights-report/#
The People’s Rights Movement states the mission to be able to mobilize direct action groups within 15 minutes anywhere in the country. They have dispatched armed activists to the private homes of politicians, police officers and health agency managers. Their history is that of criminal activity, violence, destruction of federal land and property and death. Their recruitment conferences may be peaceful and local, but their actions are violent and national. Kanab should remember that well, given that Lavoy Finicum of Kanab was killed at the Bundy occupation of Mahleur Wildlife Refuge https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ammon-bundy-anti-government-militant-accuses-house-witness-in-mans-death/2019/10/31/8dd078f4-fc1a-11e9-9534-e0dbcc9f5683_story.html
Every Kanab resident and every person in the US had a valid reason to voice concern and try to stop the recruitment of more Domestic Violent Extremists (DVEs) and future national violence by the People’s Rights Movement. Even I, now living in Portland, have a obligation to voice concern because I can actually see Vancouver, WA from my balcony and just over one month ago their group descended on a hospital there https://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/2021/01/protesters-gather-at-vancouver-medical-center-on-behalf-of-woman-who-refused-covid-19-test.html
Public officials should heed the DHS bulletin following the Capitol Insurrection through April 30th given the increased threat of violence by those emboldened by the Capitol Violence. Militia groups, like Bundy’s PRM target law enforcement and government officials and their buildings!
Local FB extremist page “Kanab Patriots” formerly Kanab Conservative Activism and some of the Red Level Kanab Area Extremists promoted the event Kanab FB Page “Kanab Patriots” Recruits and Radicalizes Extremists and after the event continued calls to fight & medical freedom. See KURW posts:
- Medical Freedom At ALL Costs: Arrest Me, Kill Me!
- New DHS Bulletin: Threat to USA by Anti-Vax, Anti-Mask Extremists (Part 1)
- Divine Right to Defy Public Health
- Calls to Fight: Against Neighbors & Against US Government
2. Funding source for Kanab Center and revenue
Taylor explained that the Kanab Center is funded by short-term rental taxes, no local taxpayer money is used, and the revenue from Bundy is good for Kanab. So, I think I understand:
- funnel money from visitors and tourists to a facility which allows domestic terrorists to recruit and continue acts of violence back in their neighborhoods.
- accept money from domestic terrorists to fund _____. ??
Oh, yes, #Kanabstrong, #Kanecountystrong and #AbraKanabra. Why does my brain respond to that now #allcitiesmatter, #allcountiesmatter and #AbraKlanabra
3. Ridicule and blame concerned residents
Taylor referred to concerned Kanab residents as “alarmists” “misinformed” “spoon-fed information””failed to fact-check”. Taylor lessened their concerns by categorizing it as different political views who would have a hey day if the tables were turned. She further ridiculed concerned Kanab residents by poking fun at the small number who contacted her and how they mispronounced Ammon’s name. Taylor’s final act of bigotry for concerned Kanab residents was blaming them for causing tax payer money to be spent on increased law enforcement because of their complaints. Absurd. Police increased presence at the Frac Sand public meeting so having an increased presence at a DVE recruitment conference during a DHS threat warning is SOP. Click to access 21_0127_ntas-bulletin.pdf
Taylor posted that she didn’t know about Bundy’s conference, that the staff of the Kane Center all do this job and that she and the Kane County Commission have their backs.
4. Decision making for scheduling events
Light shined on the larger issue of county facilitated DVE recruitment and training.
Pesky details like I called the Kanab Center and spoke with Nicole, Saturday, March 6th. She said Camille Taylor makes the decisions to approve or deny an event. That following Monday, a Kanab resident was told by Taylor that Nicole handles it. Regardless, everyone is involved, woo hoo!
5. My ROI on the advertisement in the S.U.N.
Honestly, a photo of that dinosaur would be a solid ROI for me. Seriously, I spent $239.00 with a local business and with news print. That’s good for the S.U.N. and for Kanab, right? I’m happy to give Dennis and the new owner some money which will help pay Brooke’s wages!
Sarcasm warning: Besides, I’m sure Soros can stand to waste $239.00, or that the government ‘we socialists’ steal from or whatever other ridiculous conspiracy theories the Kanab right has floated about how I fund ads and events.
6/7: How to Help
If you have discussions to intervene with the 100+/- Kanab “Patriots” who attended the Bundy event, feel free to use KURW post Reforming Extremists on Hatewatch for basics and possibly add these two topics: (1) other extremist groups joining in and (2) being a pawn for extremist group leaders:
- other groups joining, like Patriot Prayer & Joey Gibson, joining in, this slide show below includes their advertisement, their classification as “Alt-Lite” of the Far-right and the type of violent action expected by each group. (Gibson tweet by Fascist Parler Watch).
2. being a pawn of violence for these leaders, read section #4 of KURW post Understanding Social Media in Kanab: Groups, Pages & Individuals (screenshot below) and the story of area local LaVoy Finicum who was shot and killed by law enforcement during the Bundy occupation of Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon.
7/7: UTAH TOUR SCHEDULE & KANAB RESPONSE (original post before updates)
“03/2021: Please share this image everywhere you can. I emailed the image and the DHS bulletin to Camille Taylor, Mayor Houston, Chief Cram, KC Attorney, Sheriff Glover with a request to cancel this conference and any future groups and individuals who pose a threat to Kanab and US National Security.
Responses from officials are at bottom of this post including
“negative attention is still attention and it puts our destination in the limelight. “
“Protesters may try to sabotage tourism to make a point”
More info on Bundy’s People’s Rights :
“several leaders from Ammon Bundy’s new People’s Rights network – which wants governmental power to be used to protect the “righteous” against liberals, antifa, BLM activists and others – are running for office in an attempt to “become” the government.” SPLC
RESPONSES FROM KANAB OFFICIALS TO PUBLIC INQUIRIES
- This facility is paid for by TRT taxes (from short-term rentals), not a local tax.
- The intent is to bring in more economic impact to the area and their money is as good as anyone else’s.
- The local law enforcement has been alerted and will be mindful. We don’t expect any issues.
- It won’t hurt tourism even though those who don’t like this may try and sabotage tourism to make a point.
- Our community’s value proposition is strong and the negative attention is still attention and it puts our destination in the limelight.
- I’m confident we will get past this too.