(updated 09/03/2022). This post exposes extremism & bigotry of local FB Page “Kanab Patriots” (formerly Kanab Conservative Activism and now Kanab Conservatives 08/2022) and the page administrators Jeff Schwilk (veteran & CA hate group founder covered by SPLC) and his partner Ly “Tana” Kou of Hawaii & CA, now residing in Kanab, UT.
Quick links for this post and related:
- For a detailed slideshow of posts of extremism & bigotry by Kanab Patriots founders Schwilk & Kou, scroll to Section 6/8 of this post titled “Activity & Administrators”
- The most extreme contributors to this platform are featured in the 2022 KURW post Meet Your Neighbors: Red Level. “Kanab Patriot” label and “Red Level” label are added to their photos on Hatewatch by KURW.
- Kanab Patriots posted “We must NOW fight back….” after the J6 Capitol Insurrection. For the 11 who went to J6 Insurrection, see Kanab at DC Capitol Riot.
- For public official support of Kanab Patriots see Kane County Commissioner Calls Kanab Patriots a Hate Group, But They Are Not the Fringe
This is a sample of the violence posted publicly by Schwilk & Kou and their calls to fight neighbors in Kanab, Utah on their FB page “Kanab Patriots”
**Federal agencies do not monitor public social media posts, so citizens have to report it**. https://www.justice.gov/file/1354566/download. Scroll to final section in the post for reporting steps from the Department of Homeland Security. As always, read KURW post Reforming Extremists on Hatewatch and contact email@example.com for corrections or support.
1/8: Kanab Patriots defends violent actions of their followers
A slide show of evidence with videos embedded follows this chart summary of the 2020-2021 violent actions of the Kanab Patriots in Kanab, Utah.
|06/20 Business Owner||08/20 LGBTQ Hate Speech||09/05 Black Couple||09/20 Cyclist & Marathon||10/20 Cough on BLM||01/21 Capitol Insurrection|
|(Virgiana Gomez Slide) Friend of KcA pushes into store to verbally assault store owner for George Floyd signs||KcA 89 Patriots shouted homophobic hate speech at BLM rallier||KcA 89 Patriots ralliers use racial slurs and go back to Cali||KcA 89 Patriots harassed a cyclist talking traffic safety and tourist pumping gas||KcA Patriot coughed in face of older BLM ralliers after stating hatred of all democrats||KcA 89 Patriots went to insurrection and KcA Admin knows someone who went|
2/8: Calls to FIGHT
This section is in process as of 06/22/2022 for technical error uploading evidence. Three samples follow including
- BLM 2020: “Squash this little insurgency. “Not in our town”
- Biden 2020: “Always carry protection, never let down your guard around them”
- County Elections: “They will be held accountable by We the People, always”
For more calls to fight, see KURW post Calls to Fight: Against Neighbors & Against US Government
Local extremists use this platform to misrepresent information, survey and dox local opposition, target politicians, recruit locals, radicalize locals, and incite anger and action. In chronological order, their causes have been
- Sabotage Social Justice Rallies & Supporters
- Trump 2020
- Save America
- Masks Off USA, including protesting the school
- Ammon Bundy’s Kanab Conference for Peoples Rights Movement (Domestic Violent Extremists)
- 2A Sanctuaries
- Pride Month Hate, see LGBTQI2S Bigotry Series
- Promote extremists for local offices, see MEET THE 2022 CANDIDATES for Kane County Utah Election
Kanab Patriots promoted Ammon Bundy’s anti-government group People’s Rights Network (PRN). Jeff Schwilk & Tana Kou, founders of Kanab Patriots, are seen in the photo below with supporters including county staff & veteran John Jacobs, PRN regional rep. & Mahleur Wildlife Refuge Takeover Shawna Cox, DC Capitol Riot & 89/89A rally host Steve Corson, Kanab City Council Member and Kane County Commission Candidate Celeste Meyeres.
4/8: TARGET ACTIVISTS using Intimidation and veiled threats
cops keeping eye on them, stand your ground and never give in, take note of who they are and keep close eye on them, squash the insurgence, not in our town, we shoot back, carry legal protection in public, watch your backs we are under attack, never back down from Anti-police/American haters and thugs, stay vigilant
False information and trigger words
to recruit and radicalize Kanab and diminish global movement for Black Lives: abortion, Best Friends, linking Kanab demonstrators to Antifa to violence in SLC, linking crimes in Kanab to Kanab demonstrators, George Soros, overthrow government, destroy Constitution, no way let Kanab become liberal shithole, outsiders, plan to tear down Stewart monument, All Lives Matter, Cops Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, Back the Blue, Burn-Loot-Murder, What-abouts (black abortions, black crime & murder, whites killed by cops), homosexual, transgender, abolish police, murderous, White Racists, White Guilt
5/8: Racism and Violence
Kanab Patriots/KcA replies with racial vitriol to dissenters on the page which mirrors Schwilk’s racism and violence. See some of their followers violent posts here.
- KcA uses “La Raza” “Insecure Latino boy” “Soy Boy” which mirrors Schwilk’s La Raza and Mexican immigrant opposition
- KcA describes BLM as murderous, racist thugs frequently and encourages followers to carry weapons which mirrors Schwilk’s racist and violent comment about white people putting bullet in black thugs head
6/8: Activity & Administrator(s)
When 100+ Kanab area residents marched for George Floyd June 4, 2020 and advertised future social justice events, a sabotage campaign erupted on the local FB page “Kanabians for Slow Sensible Growth”(KSSG). The administrators of KSSG are fairly recent Southern California additions to Kanab, Jeff Schwilk and Tana Kou. Schwilk is a US Marine Corp Veteran and founder of immigrant hate groups and FB hate pages. See the list of evidence of extremism and bigotry posted by Schwilk and Kou in these slides
Schwilk, as KSSG, spread false and targeted information to recruit misinformed and soon angered Kanab area residents into attending a counter-protest to stop the social justice events under the false-pretense of “Back the Blue”. He promoted events through the The American Legion.
- From June 18-25, Schwilk posted multiple times on Kanabians for Slow Sensible Growth doxxing individuals who rallied for Black Lives peacefully, local businesses who showed support and false narratives to pit residents against the social justice movement and neighbors and to intimidate social justice demonstrators.
- June 24th, the S.U.N. printed a letter to the editor by Tana Kou, aka Ly Kou, the partner of Jeff Schwilk. This displayed the same content equating Kanab demonstrators to Antifa and to the criminals who committed violence during the Black Lives Matter demonstrations in other cities. She specifically mentioned me, Michelle Galaria, and Kanab Activism, the FB Page I created for community events. See Tana Kou’s comment regarding someone she knew to have gone to Kanab “Patriots” at the Capitol Insurrection and Local Law Enforcement Praise
- June 25th, Schwilk/Kanabians for Slow Sensible Growth (KssG) announced the creation of FB Page Kanab Conservative Activism (KcA) in reaction to FB page Kanab Activism and continued the platform of his page KssG.
- KcA changed their name to “Kanab Patriots” March 25, 2021. Both pages, KssG and Kanab Patriots, attempt to incite anger toward any liberal idea, business or person including: (see these posts in the section Jeff Schwilk within the post Kanab Veterans Engage in Extremism, Reflecting National Trend
- 30 hateful and false posts about me in the first two months with dozens since,
- conspiracy about Best Friends Animal Society Grants to help local businesses with Pandemic finances
- targeting Kanab Natural Market for displaying George Floyd signs,
- targeting Kanab area residents peacefully demonstrating for Black Lives and Social Justice
- targeting Bart Battista & Celeste Meyeres for City Council
- targeting Josh Warburton for Covid safety in his paper The Independent
- targeting Collette Cox for work with Best Friends & housing, Chamber of Commerce & Masks, and her mom’s questioning the family-value of comedian JP Sears
7/8: The supporters of Kanab Patriots
Marked as “K-Patriot” below their photo on KURW Hatewatch
Detailed coverage in “Meet the Patriots” series, A-C complete,
see Meet the Kanab Patriots (last names A-C) . And
Meet Your Neighbors: Red Level (Mognett, Pratt, Franklin, Cram, Meyeres, Bistline, Kanab Beamer & Kanab Val Bermant , Guinn, Sanders, Corson, Cloughesy, Baker, Gotzenberg, Mackelprang, Kaiser, White
KURW Business Directory of Extremism & Bigotry (Alldredge, Pratt, Cram, Meyeres, Schouten, England, Lewis, Crosby, Lyons, Felish, Lofing ,Patton, Kvamme, Shumway, Paul, Ramsay
Susan Bunting Erickson, Nurse for Kaibab Band of Paiutes
Kelly Kersey Demello
Talmage Daley, Garkane Energy
Kasey Ramsay, Kanab City Fire & Kane County EMS
8/8: DHS BULLETIN & HOW TO HELP
“DHS is concerned that the same drivers to violence will remain through early 2021 and some Domestic Violent Extremists (DVEs) may be emboldened by the January 6, 2021 breach of the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. to target elected officials and government facilities.” US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) https://www.dhs.gov/ntas/advisory/national-terrorism-advisory-system-bulletin-january-27-2021
DHS provides links for How To Help and for EMPLOYERS to prepare business and employees and DHS how to recognize suspicious activity https://www.dhs.gov/see-something-say-something/recognize-the-signs.
Western States Center has a toolkit to download CONFRONTING CONSPIRACY THEORIES AND ORGANIZED BIGOTRY AT HOME at https://www.westernstatescenter.org/toolkits-resources
DHS instructions for reporting, including online activity for valid threat of violence or plans for activity of violent extremism:
- For immediate threats call 911 and local law enforcement
- Kanab Police Department (435) 644-5854
- Kane County Sheriff (435) 644-2349
- For planned violence and promotion of violent action notify
- SLC FBI Field Office (801) 579-1400 https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/saltlakecity
- FBI tip line https://www.fbi.gov/tips
- Fusion Centers: Utah SIAC at Utah Department of Public Safety 801-965-3838 https://siac.utah.gov/
- For post which violate FB standards and do not meet #1 or #2 above, simply report to FB for removal using those 3 dots in the upper right corner of the post
- For posts by someone you know personally and are able to engage