|Evidence in sections below by each person||Not Included in this post|
|*Clifford Henry Smart (Fredonia, from CA)||*David Olson|
|*Kenneth Guinn (Kanab, from NV)||*Bob Riding (Kanab, from UT)|
|*Jeff Schwilk (Kanab, from CA)||*Joseph Lamica (Kanab, from VT)|
|*James Wendell Head (Kanab, from IN/OR/NV)||*Douglas Tiffin (Kanab, from CA)|
|*Jim Torgerson (Fredonia, also UT/AZ/OH)||*John Jacobs (Kanab, from AZ)|
|*Dan Watson (Fredonia, from NV/?)||Gabriel Bru “Johnny Utah” (Kanab)|
|*Amos Lofing (Kanab, also AZ/NV)||*Frank McNamara|
|*Byard Kershaw see Meet the Candidates: Kanab Mayor & City Council 2021|
The January 6th Capitol Insurrection opened many Americans’ eyes to the long, historical involvement of ex-military and law enforcement in domestic violent extremism (DVE). Kanab Veterans Jeff Schwilk, Kenneth Guinn, Clifford Henry Smart, James Wendell Head, Bob Riding, Dan Watson, Joseph Lamica, Amos Lofing, Gabriel Bru “Johhny Utah”, Douglas Tiffin and John Jacobs have publicly engaged in extremist behavior, online or in person, following the national trend.
Today, ex-military are targeted recruits of anti-government groups like the Oath Keepers, Three Percenters and Boogaloo Bois.
- 2020 saw ex-military responsible for the plot to kidnap Governor Whitmer of Michigan, counter-protests to Black Lives Matter rallies, Stop-the-Steal, Storm-the-Capitols, Capitol Insurrection, and social media radicalization.
- 2021 brought Kanab Veteran promoted and attended People’s Rights Movement (Bundy Recruits Kanab then his PRM Assaults Officer in Idaho and Patriot Prayer Joins. Kudos Kane County Office of Terrorism) following these veterans involvement in social media radicalization, Kanab Blue Lives Matter/Back the Blue/All Lives Matter counter protests to Black Lives Matter, and Kanab Stop-the-Steal rallies.
Below is some of the evidence of Kanab Veteran’s counter-protesting social justice, supporting Stop-the-Steal and using social media groups for radicalization. Others use their personal page or local FB groups and that evidence is in their section following this.
Some of the Kanab Veterans called the social justice demonstrators and business owners with Black Lives Matter signs in Kanab “American hating” and yet….
Please do not make this an anti-military issue, based on personal issues. My father was an Army Veteran, a few of my uncles and exes are/were military. Every person on the Black Lives Matter side of the weekly 89/89A Rallies has a veteran parent or partner or is a veteran. This is exposed only because of the trend in domestic violence extremism and the observation of extremist rhetoric in Kanab, where I lived. This post was inspired by the In the March 13, 2021 episode of PBS Newshour, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin discussed exposing extremism in the military because the actions of a few can have such extensive affects on the greater population (around minute 14 https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/march-13-2021-pbs-newshour-weekend-full-episode) and answers a common question from residents.
“The amount of angry, hateful, unspeakable, combative, violent even, rhetoric on social media exceeds what anybody in their worst imagination (thinks) is out there,”FBI Director Wray Feb 2021
“heightened threat environment” through spring 2021 from individuals harboring political grievances, emboldened by Jan 6–Department of Homeland Security Feb 2021 Bulletin
CLIFFORD HENRY SMART
Clifford lives in Fredonia, states that he is a veteran, is a minister at Trinity Church and is a member of FB extremist group Kanab Patriots. Clifford’s prolific extremist posts can be seen in a separate post Trinity Church (Fredonia): Clifford Smart & Sondra Colton
K E N N E T H G U I N N
Guinn is also featured in KURW post Meet Your Neighbors: Red Level
Guinn lives in Kanab and states that he is a Veteran of the US Army and from Las Vegas, NV. He uses the local FB group Kanab/Fredonia Rant & Rave to spread extremist rhetoric and is an active supporter of the local extremist Kanab FB Page “Kanab Patriots” Recruits and Radicalizes Extremists. His rhetoric includes false narratives nationally and locally, conspiracy theories, anti-Black Lives Matter (personal posts and support of anti-BLM rallies and other’s posts), bigotry toward move-ins and democrats, anti-government rhetoric and rally support, and support of Proud Boys. His social media contribution to the false narratives locally, put the safety of this community (law abiding protesters) at risk. If you know Guinn please intervene or reach out to community groups.
J E F F S C H W I L K
Schwilk lives in Kanab and states that he is a Veteran of the US Marine Corp from California. He is a member and/or admin of FB Extremist Page Kanab Patriots and began activism in Kanab with opposition to BFAS housing in The Ranchos and to SRS Frac Sand Facility in 2019. Before moving to Kanab, Schwilk founded the San Diego for Secure Borders and San Diego MinuteMen. He has been organizing and leading protests for over a decade and harassing immigrants, liberals and opposition in California and in Kanab. His agenda is to gather people, radicalize, and harass opposition. When we suspected that Schwilk was behind the local extremist FB pages, I hesitated to speak out in the chance that he had moved to Kanab for recovery with the Longhorn Hideout Retreat for Veterans from his San Diego activity. Unfortunately given the founder Lamica’s exposure and Schwilk’s continued activity, that is not the case. If you know him, try to help, but in my opinion it is best to distance yourself. If the allegations of violence by his former partner were true, look out for his current partner.
The evidence is divided into four categories: (1) Social media extremism personal, (2) Public activism in Kanab, (3) social media extremism on FB pages he manages/supports, and (4) Public activism before Kanab.
- Schwilk, Social Media Extremism using PERSONAL FB profile: Racism (black Americans, Latinos, Syrians), Conspiracy Theories (Vegas shooting, Antifa, protests, gas prices, taking freedoms, immigrant voting), False Narratives (anything deemed “Left”), anti-government & doom of America, berates people on local FB groups like Kanab Fredonia Rant & Rave, anti-women. violence (run over protesters) and the “Move back to where you came from” line. His worst two are the #HimToo and the comment”blacky put a bullet in your head”. Those are followed by a slideshow of the rest. He encourages bigotry and hate on local pages Kanab/Fredonia Rant & Rave (Understanding Social Media in Kanab: Groups, Pages & Individuals) and Kanab FB Page “Kanab Patriots” Recruits and Radicalizes Extremists, formerly Kanab Conservative Activism.
2. Schwilk, Public KANAB activism 2018-2021: Counter protested Black Lives Matter advertised rallies (disguised as Back the Blue and Patriot Day Rallies), attended Trump Cruises led by Steve Corson (Kanab “Patriots” at the Capitol Insurrection and Local Law Enforcement Praise), promoted & praised Ammon Bundy’s People’s Rights Network recruitment in Kanab. His behind the scene role in Kanab is evident in section 3 below
3. Schwilk, Social media extremism using FB pages he manages/supports: Evidence presented from confirmed identity pages only, including Armed Forces Tea Party (AFTP), Americans for Secure Borders (AFSB), and Kanabians for Slow, Sensible Growth (KSSG). The presentation below is his activity via KSSG before creation of Kanab FB Page “Kanab Patriots” Recruits and Radicalizes Extremists. His activity on AFTP, AFSB and Kanab Patriots is mixed in the other sections of this post accordingly. Schwilk, as KSSG, combines community activism on important town issues, with vitriol and ridicule towards opposition, smear campaigns of public officials and activists, and extremist rhetoric and radicalization during the months of Black Lives Matter Rallies in Kanab.
4. Schwilk, BEFORE Kanab public activism (video and media):
Video Evidence of extremism before Kanab 2005-2008
- protesting a church during mass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZOBRN2Q3E,
- aggression at Mexican Consulate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MJJr7aSldo
- anti-Obama rally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqrUAESB0Lk
- harassing activists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoD_d4PQelQ
News and Social media evidence of extremism before Kanab: anti-immigration activist, defamation of ACLU activist, FBI and SDPD property search, misogyny and violence
J A M E S W E N D E L L H E A D
James Wendell Head, “Wendell”, lives in Kanab and states that he is a Veteran and from Bicknell, IN. He uses his personal FB account to spread extremist rhetoric, but not local FB groups. He ran for Kanab City Council in 2019. The majority of his FB groups/pages are anti-NFL, anti-Hillary and …. Wendell’s rhetoric includes false narratives nationally (immigration, racial justice, Capitol Insurrection, election security) conspiracy theories (media, democrats, mail in voting, current “border” crisis, DHS bulletin since Capitol Insurrection), bigotry (democrats, migrants, Black Lives Matter), America First (foreign aid and refugees), Love America or Leave (yet posts that he would not serve again nor has voted “for” a presidential candidate since Regan and disintegration of our nation), and attendance of counter-protest to the Line 89 for Black Lives Matter & Justice for All in Kanab (marketed as Back the Blue). If you know Wendell please intervene or reach out to community groups. Resources for intervention Hatewatch. New & Improved. His community impact is difficult to determine because he doesn’t use the local FB/groups pages and his personal page has few engagements or followers.
J I M T O R G E R S O N
Jim Torgerson lives in Fredonia, AZ and states that he is US Army Veteran. He uses his personal FB account to spread extremist rhetoric, and rarely local FB groups. The majority of his FB groups/pages are related to end of times, LGBTQ, Black Lives Matter, cancel culture, anti-liberal and religious. Torgerson’s rhetoric includes false narratives nationally (immigration, racial justice, Capitol Insurrection, election security, social equity) conspiracy theories (freedom, democrats, mail in voting, current “border” crisis, DHS bulletin since Capitol Insurrection, religious), bigotry (democrats, migrants, Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ), and communism. He posts that he would die to protect his family FROM what the USA has become after posting four months prior that he would serve again. If you know Jim, please intervene or reach out to community groups. Resources for intervention Hatewatch. New & Improved
Evidence includes image below plus comprehensive Google Presentation
Dan Watson lives in Fredonia, AZ and his wife, Lorna Watson, shares that Dan is a US Veteran. Dan is Jail Commander with the Kane County Sheriff’s Office and Lorna works wit the Kanab City Police Department. Dan’s history of racism and extremism was exposed in an article by Left Coast Right Watch and the evidence is featured in a separate post: Exposed: Expel or Reform? Law Enforcement of Kane County Sheriff’s Office
Amos Lofing lives in Kanab and his wife, Sarah Jane Sanders Lofing, shares that Amos is US Army Veteran. Sarah owns a business and their evidence is featured in a separate post: Business Owner Bigotry: Sarah Lofing of The Shabby Iris Cottage Cakery
Sources: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/01/17/why-military-veterans-and-law-enforcement-joined-capitol-insurrection.html, https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/535470-extremism-in-the-us-military, https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/10/10/2-marine-corps-vets-among-those-arrested-michigan-governor-kidnapping-plot.html.